Big Firm Services with

Small Firm Personal Attention

How does Maryland workers’ compensation work?

On Behalf of | Aug 2, 2023 | workers' compensation |

If you are an employee in our state and you get injured or sick because of your job, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Workers’ compensation is a system that provides medical care, wage replacement and other benefits to workers who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses.

Who qualifies?

Almost every employer in Maryland is required to have workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. There are some exceptions, such as independent contractors, domestic workers, agricultural workers and federal employees.

To qualify for workers’ compensation benefits, you must be an employee who suffered an accidental personal injury arising out of and in the course of your employment, or an occupational disease caused by your work exposure. You must also report your injury or illness to your employer as soon as possible, and file a claim with the Maryland Workers’ Compensation Commission within 60 days of the injury or 1 year of the diagnosis.

How to apply

The first step to apply for workers’ compensation benefits is to notify your employer of your injury or illness as soon as possible. Your employer should provide you with a form called First Report of Injury or Illness (Form C-1), which you and your employer must complete and sign. Your employer should then send this form to their insurance company and the WCC within 10 days of the injury.

Next steps

The second step is to file a claim with the WCC using a form called Employee Claim Form (C-1A). You can obtain this form from the WCC website or by visiting a WCC office. You must fill out this form with information about yourself, your employer, your injury or illness and your medical treatment. You must also sign and date the form and mail it to the WCC at 10 East Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21202.

Claim reviews

The WCC will review your claim and send you a Notice of Employee’s Claim Status (Form C-30), which will tell you if your claim is accepted or contested by your employer or their insurance company. If your claim is accepted, you will start receiving benefits according to the type and severity of your injury or illness. If your claim is contested, you will have to attend a hearing before a WCC commissioner who will decide your case.


FindLaw Network